Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Salsa, Pachanga, and Charanga

One of the things that has always appealed to me about salsa is the high degree of subjectivity within the discipline.

Unlike most other forms of dance, there is not ONE correct way of doing anything. There are pretty much as many styles of salsa dancing as there are dancers.
This obviously extends not just to teaching, but also to the culture itself.
Ask 5 teachers where salsa comes from, and you’re likely to get 5 different answers.
The terminology is not fixed. Several teachers use the same name for different steps, or different names for the same step…

Below are a few examples of things I’ve heard and read that illustrate this:
  • I read an article once that affirmed that “salsa” was the music and “mambo” was the dance.
  • One teacher I learned from said “inside” and “outside” turns applied to followers, “right” and “left” applied to leaders. Another teacher used “inside” and “outside” for traveling turns, “right” and “left” for turns on the spot. Another will use the terms indiscriminately, depending on the leaders relative positioning.
  • I could draw a long list of songs that claim to belong to a given genre, but clearly don’t.
Why am I thinking of this? Well, I’ve been studying pachanga steps of late, trying to learn by studying online videos (much as I learned my 0n2 8 years ago). I was discussing this with a friend, who asked me what was the difference between charanga and pachanga. And I couldn’t provide a solid answer. The issue is further muddied by the fact that, for instance, Eddie Torres uses pachanga or charanga music indiscriminately when he teaches pachanga shines.

So where to start?
First, my subjective feeling, on a musical level, is that pachanga and charanga are almost identical, but charanga tends to incorporate more violin and flute. So basically, if I hear as song that could be either, I decide which way depending on the instruments’ presence.
However… If you listen to the lyrics of La Pachanga Se Baila Asi, a classic pachanga with many covers including Charlie Palmieri, the lyrics state unequivocally that “charanga” is the band, and “pachanga” is the dance. This argument is somewhat supported by the fact that there are dozens of bands with “charanga” in their name, whereas only one to my knowledge that has “pachanga” in its name. By the way, I’ll note that a good number of these “charanga” artists don’t in the least play music that is either charanga or pachanga…

Next, some exploration of wikipedia. Although I find the detailed information incomplete and somewhat inaccurate, the inclination is clearly in the direction that pachanga is a dance/music whereas charanga is a band/music. I’m still not satisfied, and wonder if wikipedia in Spanish might be better. But that proved a false hope. Wikipedia spanish is Spain-focused, not Latin-America focused, and their definition of a charanga is that it is a colloquial word for party… Surprisingly, it’s the French version of wikipedia that gave me the answers I liked best:
French wikipedia has two definitions of Pachanga: a musical style whose heyday was in the early sixties, between those of cha-cha-cha and of boogaloo. Derived from charanga music, it was popularized among others by Fania’s Johnny Pacheco (some erroneously believe that Pachanga = Pacheco + Charanga). Second definition, according to the pianist of Orquesta Aragon, is that a pachanga is a guaracha (kind of rumba) interpreted by a charanga (kind of band).

As for Charanga, French wikipedia defines it as a musical ensemble of Cuban origin that incorporates violin and flute, that originally played danzon. Structurally speaking some modern Timba orchestras are very similar to Charangas (explaining why some use “charanga” in their name).
What does it all mean, you might be asking? And my answer is that we can make up our individual minds about things like that. Don’t let anyone tell you that they have the final answer.
Keep in mind that salsa was called salsa because it became necessary to create one name to market all the different kinds of afro-caribbean music that were cross-influencing one another in the late sixties/early seventies.

No comments: